Surfers Paradise really turned on perfect conditions for this morning’s
Women In Tourism Breakfast.
Held in the Surfers Paradise Festival Marquis, right on the beach, it was easy to see why we have such a popular tourist destination on our doorstep.
As well as the great company and yummy breakfast from Progressive Catering and Events and Zarrafas Coffee, we also heard from a very interesting panel of ladies in the Tourism Industry. Melinda Harrison, Marketing Manager Tactical for Mantra Group, Laura Younger, Chairperson of Surfers paradise Alliance and Councillor and Deputy Mayor Donna Gates, shared some fantastic insights into the future for Surfers Paradise.
Here are just a few of their interesting snippets;
- Surfers Paradise Alliance has in place a system of “Footpath Intelligence” which essentially gives your phone a number when you enter the Surfers Paradise precinct and tracks your movements. (It isn’t able to identify you or your phone number, so rest assured “Big Brother” hasn’t taken over just yet!) However it is able to provide incredible intelligence with respect to the foot traffic in the area, and the success of various events in the Surfers Paradise Precinct. For example, its highlighted that there were 140,000 people in the Surfers Paradise precinct on Good Friday! It also proved the resounding success of the sand sculptures event, with 100,000 people above the usual guest level in the area, attending over the 3 weeks of the event. This is a huge boost to the local economy even with the intense rain received in the second week, which meant everything needed to be re-built. These numbers were up 20% on the previous year.
- Seafire next weekend is anticipated to be a huge success as the finale of the Surfers paradise Festival, with 2.3 tonne of fireworks set to light up the sky over the beach between 7 and 8 pm on Saturday 18th
- There are now 650 events in the Gold Coast annually – that’s a huge number! We need to stay in tune with what is happening in our local area and offer as much support as possible as these events are draw cards and fantastic for the tourism industry. Promote them on social media and to your guests- get behind them in any way you can as it’s to the benefit of the whole area.
- The Jewel Development is on its way – Surfers Paradise first new luxury Beachfront Resort in 20 years! With a six star hotel and mix of luxury apartments and hotels suites, the three imposing towers have been designed to look like huge crystals. Sitting on 110m of beachfront and with extensive resort facilities, it promises to breathe new life into the area, at a development cost of a tidy $1 billion.
- With a council election not far away, Councillor Gates reminded us of the focus that the Mayor has on developing the Gold Coast, and the benefits that will bring for such a tourism- driven area
Congratulations to everyone from Women In Tourism for the fantastic job they did this morning. I’m quite sure this venue would have offered up quite a number of logistical challenges, but they definitely rose to the occasion.
Looking forward to their next event, but it’s difficult to see how they will be able to top this one!!
by Sally Baumber
Other articles of interest:
Women In Tourism Breakfast
Women In Tourism Breakfast – Layne Beachley